Kwararafa University Wukari, was licensed as Wukari Jubilee by the National Universities Commission in 2005. It took off in March, 2006 with 61 students as the first and only community owned University in Nigeria, the first University in Taraba State and the second private University in the North East Geopolitical zone of Nigeria.
Located at Wukari an ancient city that was for a while the headquarters of the historically famous Kwararafa Confederacy, the University officially changed its name from Wukari Jubilee to Kwararafa in Febuary 2012 to reflect the cultural and historical roots of the confederacy which at the zenith of its powers extended to modern Niger, Plateau, Kogi, Nasarawa and Benue states and FCT in the north central geo-political zone, Edo and Cross River in the South-south zone, Kogi Kaduna, Kano and Katsina states in the north west zone and Bauchi, Gombe, and Adamawa States in the north east zone.
Kwararafa University enjoys cordial relations with its host community and attracts students from Taraba and 22 other states of the Federation.
To become a first class institution in pursuit of knowledge and scholarship through teaching, research and community service, geared towards inculcating knowledge and entrepreneurial skills to students that will enable them to be productive and self-reliant.
• To provide a conducive environment for the development of effective and virile indigenous human and material resources for the development of the nation.
• To produce graduates who are well-rounded in their disciplines and also imbued with necessary entrepreneurial skill to contribute meaningfully to the development of themselves in particular and society in general.
• To replace unemployment and career stagnation of graduates with creative ingenuity through well packaged programs and practical training.
• To provide sound education to Nigerians irrespective of religious affiliation, tribes, sex and political leaning.
• To create a nurturing and stimulating environment where the pursuit of excellence, development of self-discipline, creative thinking and individuality will thrive and also seen as essential components of cooperative society.
The University is presently developing linkage programs with other Institutions and Universities around the world. The focus of research is in the areas:
• Peace and Conflict Resolution
• Food Science and Technology
• ICT and Mathematics Education
The research focus is derived from the unique location of the University in the Benue valley with abundance of flora and fauna as well as the rich social cultural traditions of the people of the area that could be of academic interest to researchers. Our community project is ICT and Mathematics Education. We strongly believe that if we engage with our wider community and deploy modern techniques for teaching mathematics we will be filling a gap in mathematics education in particular and science education in general.
The University Official Colours are Green and Gold. The Green Colour represents agriculture, productivity, fertility, growth and steady progress while the Gold Colour represents the rich cultural heritage of the people and abundance of natural resources.
In the logo, the spear head “Atoshi” is the traditional weapon of the Jukun people (host community of the University) and its relationship with the open Book also in the Logo symbolizes that knowledge derived from the university will play a crucial role in the management /resolution of crises, and in the fight against ignorance, poverty and disease.